Friday, April 23, 2004

Summer Music Options

David asked earlier about people's summer plans, musically. Don't overlook Chamber Music Weekend, July 14-18.

Brass break? There are times when it seems difficult to face another rehearsal. But I'm feeling (like Corey) encouraged with where we see ourselves going. I'm not sure we're organized, yet, or that we have the right repertoire. But my feeling is that we're just getting rolling, so a break now would be detrimental.

Recorders? Given De De and Jamey's recent acquisitions, we need to pursue some basic recorder ensemble opportunities; perhaps something like the afternoon of Corey and Christy's wedding. Just get together and play and play . . . Repertoire is the tricky bit, and I'm hoping Geri proves to have a large supply.

Strings? Same thing, basically. We're short staffed, somewhat: we need another violin or viola who can manage to read music as well as Jamey can. (Kudos, Jamey: your cello playing is showing excellent progress. It's obvious that you're not having to learn music as you learn technique. Very impressive!) Repertoire is, again, a potential roadblock. I have some Haydn quartets, but not much else. Personally, I'm not crazy about music with fewer than four parts. Five is better, etc. But it's better to play a duet than to miss a chance to play chamber music!

We need more music that calls for strings and chic flutes. (Hi Jamie!)

Impromptu chamber music? Call me! My number is . . .

No comments: